You know the old saying, “Under Promise and Over Deliver”! One of our biggest pet peeves in our dealings in the real estate world (and I can say: our buyers’ pet peeve) is when listings over-promise and under-deliver! I can’t tell you how many times buyers go into a property and are sorely disappointed because the listing reads one way but the home shows in a very different way.
What are some “over-promises”?
· It says: remodeled kitchen
· What you get: older kitchen cabinets that are simply painted
· It says: half-bath
· What you get: a toilet in an open area (like a laundry room)
· It says: 4-car garage
· What you get: a deep 2-car garage (tandem)
· It says: 4 bedrooms
· What you get: a bedroom in a basement or a captive (walk-thru) BR
· It says: family room
· What you get: a small sitting area
· It says: finished basement
· What you get: a basement with painted walls & carpet thrown down
The bottom line is this: If the listing says anything that the house is not, you will almost always have upset, angry or at the least, disappointed buyers. You may think you will get more buyers to look at your house, but actually what you get is buyers that feel like you’ve wasted their time! Don’t be vague and try to entice with “false” advertising. Instead, err on the safe side of not saying too much! It is better for buyers to leave your home pleasantly surprised, rather than disappointed.
Joy Daniels, GRI, ABR, CSP, e-PRO
JOY DANIELS REAL ESTATE GROUP, LTD
2793 Old Post Road, Suite 200
Harrisburg, PA 17110
(717) 695-3177 office - Call TODAY and let me help you find your dream home!
Joy@JoyDaniels.com - Email TODAY and let me help you find your dream home!
What is your home worth? Find out at MLS Market Snapshot