For many of us in Pennsylvania and other colder areas of the country, burning fires is how we make it through the winter months. I think we have had a fire at least 3 nights a week since November! One of the home inspections companies in our area shared this information on safe wood burning. I went to a listing appointment today and was told about a fire in the chimney that destroyed part of the home. Thankfully no one was hurt, but why take the risk!
SAFE WOOD BURNING
What can compare with sitting in front of a crackling fire while sipping a warm beverage on a cold winter night with friends or family? To avoid unexpected and unwelcome mishaps that could ruin such a gathering, observe some simple precautions when you install or use your fireplace or stove.
- All regularly used wood-burning fireplaces and stoves and chimneys should be checked and cleaned annually, preferably by a certified chimney sweep.
- Wood-burning fireplaces should be equipped with a safety screen or doors, which should be closed at all times when the fire is lit.
- Before lighting any fire, check to see that the flue damper is open.
- Do not burn wrapping papers or evergreens in the fireplace. A flash fire may result as these items ignite suddenly and burn intensely
- If your house is weathertight, it may be necessary to partially open a nearby window for optimum combustion.
- Make sure the stove is installed according to the manufacturer's instructions and any local codes.
- Burn only dry, well-seasoned wood cut to the proper size for the stove or firebox opening.
- Use a screen if burning with an open firebox.
- Dispose of ashes in a closed metal container, outside and away from the - not inside a garage.
- Do not leave the fire unattended. Make sure you have at least one working smoke/fire detector.
Remember, these tips are only general guidelines. Since each situation is different, contact a professional if you have questions about a specific issue. More home safety and maintenance information is available online at www.housemaster.com.
Joy Daniels, GRI, ABR, CSP, e-PRO
JOY DANIELS REAL ESTATE GROUP, LTD
2793 Old Post Road, Suite 200
Harrisburg, PA 17110
(717) 695-3177 office - Call TODAY and let me help you find your dream home!
Joy@JoyDaniels.com - Email TODAY and let me help you find your dream home!
What is your home worth? Find out at MLS Market Snapshot